- Responsible Travel
- About Us
- Our Service
- Travel Planning
- Special Interest
Search our site
email or phone
(+44) 0121 314 6011
chat with our travel consultants
Read our Africa blog here
Top pick of photographic wildlife safaris
Environmental Commitment (Home AND Abroad)
At home BAOBAB Travel is committed to:
Energy Efficiency & Water Conservation
We aim to limit our energy & water consumption as much as possible by
- using energy saving bulbs (where possible)
- switch geysers on only in morning for one hour
- make use of natural light in the office, which has two large windows
- turn all appliances and equipment off overnight, nothing is left on standby
- unplug all battery charges, when not actually used
- do not operate air-conditioning units, but make use of natural ventilation
- do not operate dishwashers
- do not have automatic watering systems for our gardens
- only water the garden in the evening and on non-windy days
Waste Management - Reduce, reuse, recycle
- We aim to reduce waste by running a 'paperless' office both in the UK and in RSA, as much as possible.
- All client communication is done by email and stored electronically on our Customer Management System.
- When printing is necessary, we use 100% recycled paper and print double-sided to minimise wastage.
- We made a conscious choice not to produce a glossy printed travel brochure in order to minimize the unnecessary use of paper and energy to produce and distribute, and the wastage of unused brochures at the end of the year. Instead we developed an extensive website that gives potential clients the same information as a glossy travel brochure and more.
- Bottled water is not used in the office. Instead we invested in a fridge with a tap water dispenser.
- We have an active recycling policy - all office waste is recycled including paper, glass, plastics, metals, e-waste, print cartridges, and organic waste. All organic waste is collected and added to our on-site compost heap and worm farm.
Other environmental issues
We try & minimise our carbon footprint as much as possible by:
- Limiting staff air & road travel, whenever possible.
Sourcing all our office supplies locally and making use of a delivery service in the area for delivery of quarterly orders.
Overseas BAOBAB Travel is committed to:
- We offer our clients the opportunity to off-set all CO2 from air & land travel, electricity used, and paper & other resources consumed by supporting an Urban Greening project through Food & Trees for Africa.
- Providing our clients with information and advice on how they can minimise their environmental impacts and reduce their consumption of resources (e.g. fresh water). This also includes advice on issues, such as purchasing sustainable seafood by distributing the WWF Southern African Sustainable Seafood Initiative's consumer's seafood pocket guide.
- We actively favour small-scale establishments that are built and/or run in environmentally sustainable ways, using sustainable building materials, renewable energy, have active waste recycling & water management policies in place, use indigenous plants, remove alien vegetation, run hybrid vehicles, and/or buy local produce.
- We actively favour establishments and service providers, who make a substantial effort to reduce energy use (energy saving bulbs, limit air-con use, reuse of towels), use environmentally friendly cleaning products & toiletries, recycle actively (incl. compost heaps and worm farms), have simple water recycling schemes (re-use grey water for watering of gardens), and/or use reed beds for water purification.
- We make every effort to ensure that our suppliers will never disturb damage or interfere with the flora and fauna for the gratification of our guests.
- We try to avoid ecologically sensitive areas and destinations that suffer from 'over-tourism'.
- In the case of group travel to sensitive areas, we try to keep groups sizes small to minimise potential negative impacts on sensitive ecosystems, as well as cultures.